Founded AnimalSense Canine Training and Behavior in 1999 in an effort to help pet owners cultivate and enrich the human-animal bond. Over the last seven years it has grown from a one-woman operation, to a staff of seven instructing over 25 classes per week in three locations and visiting private clients seven days a week throughout the Chicagoland area.
Jamie’s professional interests include working with canine aggression and behavior disorders and human-animal bond theories. Her background and education include working in veterinary hospitals and animal shelters.
To date, Jamie has worked with more than 15,000 dogs.
Jamie’s ultimate goal is to infuse the nation with a greater understanding of dog behavior and positive training…and have a fantastic time doing it.
· Founder, Owner and Training Director, AnimalSense Canine Training and Behavior, Inc. 1999 – Present
· Behavior Consultant for Pet Vets Animal Hospital in Oak Park, 2000- Present
· Shelter Director for Oak Park Animal Care League, Oak Park, IL 2001 - 2002
· Founded and operated Out-U-Go Pet Care Services, Inc., Oak Park, IL 1997 - 1999
· Founded and operated Out-U-Go In-home Veterinary Service, Inc., Oak Park, IL 1997 - 1999
· Veterinary Assistant at The Pet Practice Animal Hospital, Franklin Park, IL, 1993 - 1995
· Social Worker and Case Manager for Lutheran Social Services, where she introduced a Pet Therapy program, 1991- 1994
· Adoption counselor at Anti-Cruelty Society, Chicago, IL 1992
· Assistant at the Lincoln Park Zoo, Chicago, IL 1990 – 1991
· Variety of volunteer work programs and projects with children and animals, 1988 - Current
· Certification Council for Pet Dog Trainers, Received Certified Pet Dog Trainer and Behavior Consultant Designation (CPDT), November 2002
· Purdue University Veterinary School certification in Behavior Modification and Owner Education, 2000
· Arizona Canine Academy, Sierra Vista, AZ, 1999
· DePaul University, Chicago, Illinois Psychology and Communication, 1991-1993
· Illinois State University, Communications, 1988-1990
· Attended hundreds of hours of seminars and conferences, as well as numerous certification and apprenticeship programs for working with severe canine behavior disorders, including, but not limited to the following:
· APDT International Conference (1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2006)
· Wolf Park 5-day Working Seminar (2000)
· Ian Dunbar, PhD, “Sex and Aggression” Seminar (2004)
· Jean Donaldson, “Fear, Aggression and Learning” Seminar (2005)
· Sue Sternberg, “Shelter Animal Behavior” Seminar (2001, 2002, 2006)
· Turid Ruggas, “Canine Body Language” Seminar (2002, 2006)
· Patricia McConnell, PhD., “Advanced Canine Behavior” Seminar (1999, 2002)
· Founder of CAPTA (Chicago Area Pet Trainers Association), the first network of its kind in the Chicagoland area, dedicated to providing professional, educational and social networking opportunities for pet trainers in a supportive environment
· CAPTA Board Member, 2004 – Present
· Active member of the Association of Pet Dog Trainers (APDT), 1999 – Present
· Certified Evaluator for American Kennel Club’s Canine Good Citizen Program, 2002- Present
· Current Member of City of Chicago’s Task Force on Animal Welfare, 2006 - Present
· Current Member of City of Chicago’s Pet Day Care Subcommittee, 2005 - Present
· Mentor for Vocation Vacations, 2005 – Present
MEDIA / PUBLIC SPEAKING EXPERIENCE
· Frequent guest on ABC7 News Chicago, 2005 – Present
· Frequent guest on WGN 720AM, Chicago’s top rated AM station, 2005 – Present
· Frequent guest on Pet World Radio, a nationally syndicated program, 2005 - Present
· Professionally interviewed by a variety of local and national publications including The Chicago Tribune, The Chicago Sun-Times, Tails Magazines, The Wednesday Journal and various Pioneer Press Publications, 2000 – Present
· Featured Presenter and Speaker at Association of Pet Dog Trainers International Conference, Kansas City September 2006
· Provided testimony at Chicago City Council Hearings concerning animal welfare ordinances, July 2006
· Interviewed for and highlighted in Entrepreneur Magazine’s Pet Businesses, 2006
· Provides monthly seminars for staff and patients at Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago, IL
· A proud Chicago native
· Jamie stays busy with her own pets: Sam, a Beagle-Rat Terrier Mix, Liddie, a Belgian Malinois -Doberman Mix and Poodle, the Toy Poodle, all rescued from the streets of Chicago. And let us not forget her African Grey Parrot, Tahoe, the talking wonder
· For non-doggy fun, Jamie paints, trains for an occasional triathlon and serenades her dogs with her guitar
· Currently working on publishing her first book
· Within the past year she gained a new niece and nephew who, if she has anything to say about it, are going to grow up to be dog trainers
I am pleased to bring you content free of charge.
When you click on some links and purchase some items through my website,
I receive a referral commission.
I recommend products and services that I think you will benefit by using.
Thank you for your support.